Thursday, November 22, 2007

Starting Scene 2

In the second scene, the young Cubie is going to wake up the older Cubie, which is going to start walking slowly and steadily while the young one runs around him and jumps on his back.

They will start walking to the right side of the screen, and then we will switch to scene 3 in which the last Cubie will wake up, this time by itself.

But first, there are some things I want to fix in my rig.
As a lesson from animating the first scene, I discovered the following facts about my rig:
  • The knees and shoulders controls where indeed useful when growing the arms, but after that they just stayed static in the scene and just got in the way. Another problem was that the axes of the feet controls where rotated so the height of one foot was controlled by +X (instead of Y axes), while the other foot was controlled by -X (the opposite direction). I am going to try a different approach this time - maybe just using FK for the few frames in which the arm rotates from horizontal position to face the floor.

  • A roll attribute was missing from my reverse foot lock mechanism - for every step I had to animate both the heel control joint and the fingers control joint. I'm going to add a roll attribute to the foot control so I can rotate the foot in both directions using an expression.

  • The pole vector of the ankles IK should be constrained to another control, otherwise it's very difficult to animate. I didn't animate the pole vectors at all for that reason, simply because it wasn't accessible. I don't know whether I could use the pole vectors to make the animation better on this scene but I'm sure it will help in the following scenes.

  • One of the small details that bugged me was that the foot controls were underground most of the time - meaning hidden by the floor. I was still able to select them since I knew where they were, but I think I will raise them to be a little above the foot for better control.


So off I go to fix the rig, and continue working faster and better on the next scene :)

No comments: